Banner

Freemasons Hall

Selected site image
Location: Chesney Lane, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil NaduYear: 1923

Freemasons Hall was constructed to aid the military troops of the foreign power. The double storey white hall has an influence of the Greek engineering style. On the entrance there are tall pilasters supporting the structure with an open corridor. Italian marbles and tiles have been used in the interiors. The building is illuminated and ventilated with the help of big windows.
 There is a dining hall on the first floor which is approached by a spiral staircase which is made up of Sholingar stones, with wrought iron and grill.  
Reference- https://www.chennai.org.uk/monuments/freemasons-hall.html

Category: Other

Similar Places

Porkalam Rock Cut Caves
Porkalam Rock Cut Caves

 Two rock-cut caves have been scientifically excavated by the Department of Archaeology of the erstwhile State of Cochin in 1938. These caves have been excavated out of hard laterite rock. The caves found there have a porthole and a square entrance. Outside the entrance, there is a rectangular passage with carved steps on one side. The pillar carved out of laterite is located at the middle. A portion of one cave is opened due to the quarrying of laterite.

Banashankari Temple
Banashankari Temple

Banashankari Temple of Amargol is an ancient temple dedicated to Banashankari. Near to the Banashankari Temple at Amargol there is a temple of Shankarlinga built by Jakkanacharya. In the early 13th century, the temples of this period have nagara articulation, built in the stepped diamond and the square plan natural to a nagara superstructure. Notable among temples with a stepped-diamond style are the Ganesha Temple at Hangal, the Banashankari Temple at Amargol