Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park
Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, located in the Panchmahal District of Gujarat State in north-western India, has a number of archaeological, historical, and living cultural heritage properties. Focused on Pavagadh Hill, a volcanic formation that rises 800 m above the surrounding plains, the property includes the remains of settlements dating from the prehistoric to medieval periods, the latter represented by a hill-fortress of an early (14th-century) Hindu capital and the remains of an Islamic state capital founded in the 15th century. The large property, comprised of 12 separate areas, contains the remains of fortifications, palaces, religious buildings, residential precincts, and water-retaining installations, as well as the living village of Champaner.
This area was conquered in the 13th century by the Khichi Chauhan Rajputs, who built their first settlement on top of Pavagadh Hill and fortification walls along the plateau below the hill. The earliest built remains from this period include temples, and amongst the important vestiges are water-retention systems. The Turkish rulers of Gujarat conquered the hill-fortress in 1484. With Sultan Mehmud Begda’s decision to make this his capital, the most important historic phase of this site began. The settlement of Champaner at the foot of the hill was rebuilt and remained the capital of Gujarat until 1536, when it was abandoned.
Sri Pachalasomeswara Swamy temple
There are three famous temples in Panagal namely Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple, the Venkateswara Swamy Temple and the Chaya Someswara Swamy Temple. Among these, from the architectural and sculptural point of view, the most important one is the Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple. It has the finest sculptural works. The ground plan of Pachala Someswaraswamy temple is different from other temples found in Telangana. It has four shrines, out of which three are arranged on the west while the fourth one is on the east with a common and large rectangular mandapa.
It has excellent sculptures on the walls and pillars, depicting stories from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Some of the erotic images on the walls are similar to the ones found in Khajuraho. Siva as Gjasamharamurthy, Ravana shaking Kailasa, Narsimha killing Hiranyakasipu, Battle scenes from the Mahabharatha and Ramayana are important pillar sculptures. Outside walls are also decorated with carvings of the gods. Besides, one can also see a huge Nandi, Ashta Dikpalakas, a dancing Ganesa and Lord Vishnu in the form of a Boar, Shiva as Lingodbhavamurthi. According to a pillar inscription the Pachala Sorneshwaraswamy temple is dated 1124 A.D. Panagal is located nearly 4 km from the district headquarters of Nalgonda and is accessible by road.
Sri Ananta padmanabha swamy sculpture
The idol of Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Sculpture in is carved in black granite stone measuring (2.20mts x1.00 mts). The figure of Anantha Padrnanabha Devarampally Village, is carved on a boulder here. A 32 hooded snake is also beautifully carved behind him. The upper right hand is kept below As head and the lower right hand is kept near his chest. The upper left hand is holding Sankha while the lower left hand is kept on the folded left leg. Sri Brahma is seen seated on a lotus which is raised from the navel of Anantha Padmanabha. His consorts Sri Devi and Bhu Devi are carved near his feet portion. Above the in deity, Sankha, Chakra and devotees images are also carved. On the basis of the iconographical features, this sculpture dates backto 12th -13th Century A.D.
Devarampally Village is located nearly 45 km from the district headquarters of Hyderabad and is well accessible by road.